Sunday 19 April 2009

The Moss (2008) @ 青苔

Free Live Adult Cams
At a glance:
Oily sex, crooked cops and kindly whores - what's there not to like? Lotsa atmospheric stuff here, like the wet heat theme (as opposed to the dry one in that German gem Dog Days) and an embarrassment of sexy photography that unfortunately took a little focus out of the story. I gotta say this Derek Kwok fella sure knows how to shoot ugly things.
Reminds me of:
The previous Derek Kwok film The Pye-Dog - just as artsy and just as involvin, only less admirable. Also reminds me of that Chapman To film Isabella. These films are all an offbeat Asian showcase of moral ambiguity.
Watch out for:
The oily sex.
Most memorable line:
Paraphrased: "I said I was gonna grow up to be strong like a tree but my mum said trees get cut down. She said be like moss instead. It survives wherever there is water and sunlight." Seemed a bit forced (read: pretentious), though it did tie up the title and the story.
Amacam joker, berapa bintang lu mau kasi?
Mengada-ada endin but still enjoyable.★★★1/2